Fasul-ya – green bean and tomato stew – is one of my favorite Armenian side dishes from childhood. The pronunciation reminds me of facile (French for “easy”) and thus it seems aptly named! My cousin Lisa sometimes converts this vegetable side dish into a complete meal by adding ground meat. “When I add meat, I always serve it with bulgur and make a yogurt salad on the side,” says cousin Lisa. “Delish!”
Cousin Lisa’s Fasul-ya
- 1 lb Green Beans
- 1/2 Diced Onion
- Sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 - 15 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil (optional)
- Garlic Powder
- Sautee onions over medium heat. Sprinkle in salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Add green beans (and mushrooms now, too, if you're using them).
- Once the green beans are softened, add the diced tomatoes and fresh basil.